So says Lavelle. The surgery is for a strained tendon in his right wrist. He’ll miss six to eight weeks. My thoughts on this and other matters:
- This is a very simple procedure, and the only real remaining question is how long it will take him to strengthen the wrist so that he can grip and throw the ball with power and accuracy. Hopefully it will be by April 5, but since Drew Butera is already on the 40-man roster, there’s really no rush.
- However, Butera is a defensive specialist not known for his hitting. He’ll be an okay substitute for Mauer, but his presence in the lineup likely means Mauer is DHing in order to prevent too large of a dropoff. Morales hits for a ton of average, so he should hurry and get back so Mauer can get more days off.
- Willem Dafoe is a creepy man.
- Today Mike Redmond signed with the Indians. I wish him my best, except for the 18 games he plays against the Twins. Hopefully we’ll see him in a Twins coaching uniform in a year or two.
- Kevin Kouzmanoff was traded to the Athletics today, so we won’t be seeing him in a Twins uniform. Honestly, this is a bit of a relief, because I grimace at all the potential misspellings of his last name.
In other news, I have finally given in, and am on Twitter. If you’re interested, follow me at http://www.twitter.com/calltothepen.