So. The third inning was arguably the ugliest defensive inning of the season for the Twins. No errors show up on the box score, but there were at least three judgment calls for the official scorer.
- Brendan Harris – had a slow line drive hit almost right at him… and let it roll out of his glove. No chance at throwing out Ichiro.
- Next play: line drive to shallow left field. Young lumbered forward and dove, feetfirst, for the ball, which bounced in front of him. It was the ugliest thing I have seen in a Twins uniform in at least two years.
- The next batter hit a first-pitch 2-run homer off Scott Baker.
- Then there was a little one-hopper to Harris, who made the easy play at first.
- Then it was a ground ball to Buscher, who took it off the heel of his glove. It went straight up, and he had NO IDEA where it went… it ended up dropping about a foot and a half from his right foot.
By the end of the inning, the M’s had scored four runs and led 4-2. Let’s hope the rest of the game works out better.